Mission and strategy
A museum is, essentially, an instrument to help preserve the collective memory of a society. The History Museum of Catalonia is also intended to be a space open to everyone so that people can meet, debate and reflect. It is also a tool helping provide information, education and entertainment, while at the same time raising awareness. The permanent exhibition offers an interactive story of the history of Catalonia from earliest times to the present day, complemented with educational and leisure activities, workshops and temporary exhibitions.
The History Museum of Catalonia has become established as a leader in preserving, researching and popularising the country’s history and cultural heritage. The founding decree of 1996 establishes that the institution’s mission is precisely to “preserve, explain and popularise the history of Catalonia as collective heritage and strengthen citizens’ identification with the nation’s history”. To do this, the museum takes on a mandate to perform the following functions:
- To preserve, increase, document and popularise collections belonging to the nation representing Catalan history, heritage and culture. These collections of heritage represent the country’s most important asset.
- To develop, promote and cooperate in research, exhibitions and popularising knowledge of Catalan history, heritage and culture, both at home and abroad.
- To coordinate and support the associated local and regional museums in the country in all the actions they carry out in relation to researching, preserving and popularising the archaeological, historical and ethnological heritage of Catalonia.
The History Museum of Catalonia carries out its cultural activities by implementing six broad strategic guidelines aimed at making the museum:
- A clearly interdisciplinary museum of society.
- A centre for researching, preserving and popularising the archaeological, historical and ethnological heritage of Catalonia.
- A cultural facility open and accessible to everyone.
- A forum and centre for cultural action as well as a museum.
- An organisation that operates in networks in Catalonia and internationally.
- A sustainable institution run with the participation of civil society.